Tuesday, April 28, 2009

India - spiritual capitol of the world! without doubt....

I still recall getting off at the Bangalore airport on Jan 17th. It was like 2 AM, and as I walked outside to be received by my dad, my sister, her fiance and my brother-in-law, all I could sense was the air - I dont know what to point it to. Both my nostrils were active, my mind was crystal clear, there was no strain of stress in my body and it felt as though someone has just lifted open the top of my head. It was the most amazing feeling of my life! I was grateful for the awareness. I have known India for over 35 years now and yet, this was the first time I experienced her as something more than just a country! She was there in her full glory. I just swirled around with my arms wide open, eyes closed at the airport and the words just slipped out, "Oh! I love you India". It was like the union of two lovers after the angst of separation,. My sister looked at me and laughed in knowing. Well, that the very reason she left US like 3 years ago to be united with India for good.

And the drive home at 2:00 AM was one of the most fulfilling rides of my life. All the roads were empty except for the innumerable stray dogs that kept barking at the tresspassing cars. Some even went in for a chase. It was wonderful to be back. I observed many changes - like there were many more churches and mosques popping at various places. It was interesting! Got home, had a shower. It was almost 3:00 AM. I had no sleep. We allchatted for some more time and then everyone decided to go for a nap! I could hardly sleep. I woke up and did my spiritual practise at around 4:00 AM followed by meditation. Ah! It was pure heaven!

Well at the sharpness of dawn (around 5;00 AM) began the chirupping of birds, the first honk of a car, the gate opening downstairs, watchman talking, footsteps going for morning walks, temple bells in the distance and wow! - the morning had began. It was Sunday!

Hmm! Now how does this make India the spiritual capitol! Let me explain! I was in India for over 2.5 months and also, had a crazy schedule - my sisters wedding, womens conference, shivrathri, mangalore, kerala, friends, family, relatives, friends wedding, doing workshops, having meetings! You know through out my stay I realised that the mind was as bright as sun! My breath was free - active nostrils all the time! Didnt catch a cold. Inspite of all the chaos - my mind was in a completely different state of consciousness. I only experience that in presence of Gurudev! This time India gave me that experience.. Physically your body gets beaten, tired but your mind stays so fresh! It is unbelievable.

I recognize this experience more so now becasue I had experienced the contrast for over 3 years in US. There is always a cloud hanging over your heard or should I say you are in a cloud of stress all the time. My forehead always feels different. I cannot imagine surviging in US without meditation! It is my only ray of staying sane. :)

But in india, it was so different! Spirituality is everywhere! - in every breath! Through out my stay I experience both of nostrils to be active - it was magical for me! My mind was clear in spite of the zillion things happening around me. I could have skipped meditation and I would have been fine.

I have an interesting theory - u gotta hear it!
In India, your 3 most used senses are abused left, right and center!
Smells not so great, Visually not everything you see is appeasing, sounds are crazy!! Most folks get thrown out of their wits just at these three. These are our most strong senses and they are abused, bruised in India. These can take people in two directions - either get caught up in complaining about all that you see, hear and smell or away from it - and this is when you experience the spirituality of India!

Now reverse it - you come to the West! The minute I land inSFO, my eyes are massaged by everything I see, there is no sound to bother my ears (only the sound in my head if I can hear it), and there is no smell. These three senses are really exaggerated in the west and one gets stuck right there. There is hardly any time to transition to the mind.

Now there are still two senses remaining!
Taste and Touch - both are blissful in India! Every possible taste is available in the Indian food and a glimpse into the variety itself can free you even if u dont eat it. :)
And touch is also very pure and divine in India - whether it be from your parents, sister, friends, grand parents, kids - even the sabji wali bai! Everyone either hugs you, kisses you or pats you - there is so much love in the touch in India. It just transcends you to so much gratitude and bliss! Love is inherent in the touch. Even when I look at the construction worker's family - cooking under the tree in a blackened aluminium vessel, the baby is in a cloth-sling on one of the branches, the other two kids are playing in the mud - I see the bliss in their eyes. The joy of being together. You cannot match that smile even if u had a million dollors in your pocket.

Now a glance into my Karma Bhoomi - the West! The very word touch makes you uncomfortable! There are rules on touching. I very rarely see folks hugging or touching as an expression of joy and love. Touch is associated with sex even in the songs or in the general lingo. It is so sad! And taste - well! There is no taste. There is no nirvana happening in that direction for sure. :)

So the West has capitolised on Visuals, Sounds and Smells! And I look around and see everyone so mesmerized by these three senses - that going beyond it sometimes becomes impossible. I have to add here that visually nature int he West is at its grandest. Its presence can take you beyond youself and that is why I think many folks choose to be in the countryside , close to nature but then they dont like company of people any more. Cant blame them! :)

Being human is to be able to experience all the human qualities of friendship, love, compassion, respect, trust, and zillion others but being away from human civilization & being alone in Nature somehow you dont get to experience these qualities in its fullglory! That is the only drawback!

There again India shines - every moment in India is an opportunity to experience your potential as a human being. I will write more about that experience another time. And of course, the opposites that coexist in India - it is mind blowing!

That is enough of writing for today.

3 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Wow Rekha... I need to go back and read this one more time.

love & JGD,
Lakshmi

Gungun said...

awesome blog. especially about the 3 senses vs 2 senses. beautiful observation. i felt the same vaccum of senses. but never thought about the other 2 senses and how they are fulfilled. although, i miss and revel in the smell and sounds of india. even the so called 'bad' smell is something to relish after the antiseptic atmosphere of the US. which is also good in itself too.

Gungun said...

your blog has so much that i need to comment on something else.
1. the bliss in the eyes of even the people working in the roadside. wow. so true. there is a basic level of love that people in india operate from. also a basic level of trust in the other person. the world is seen as inherently friendly, rather than as threatening, which is what is in the US. i don't know why. but it is sad.
2. touch is equated with sex over here. i think that is because over here there are no nuances in relationships. there is only mother, father love and then sexual love. in india we have 3 -4 diff. types of uncles, 4-5 diff. types of aunts, diff. types of cousin sisters and cousin brothers and many permutations and combinations of relationships that are non-sexual. over here a lot of burden is put on the male-female relationship as there are no other outlets or expressions of love.
3. overwhelming of the 3 senses here. so true. there is so much stress over here on the sensual gratification. and instant gratification. and due to market economy, it is hard to go past the veil of sensual enjoyment. the goal of marketing and advertising (without which things would not get sold, and without sales, the wheels of market economy will not turn) is to make us believe that we cannot function without these things.